Thursday, October 05, 2006

Coming clean

OK, it's time to spill the beans. We are planning on moving again. Rick is parting company with his employer. So we are planning to move to Yorkshire, where we have always wanted to live. It's only recently, though, that we've managed to narrow down exactly where in Yorkshire (which, let's face it, is a big place.) We've had several holidays there, and spent days driving around looking for the area we could imagine living, with no success.

Then I started looking at rail maps. Living in the countryside as we do now, we have realised that you do have to drive everywhere. This is not good for blood pressure, life expectancy or our fragile climate. So we want to find somewhere with good rail links. Looking at the rail maps for West Yorkshire, I suddenly realised that Hebden Bridge sits right in the middle of a lot of large-sized (therefore employer-rich) conurbations. I googled to find out more, and discovered it is full of artists, writers, and hippies (and apparently lesbians and anarchists as well.) I think I've found my home! Or near enough; we may need to live somewhere nearby if property prices are too prohibitive to live in HB as many people suggest they might be.

So - I handed in my notice a couple of weeks ago. That did feel a little strange, it has to be said. And I am now building my own career coaching business - slowly, but surely.

I'm continuing at art college this term, and exploring the option of switching to Todmorden College when we move. Apparently this is a thriving little centre for adult art education. I am planning to meet with them, complete with sketchbook, in December when we will be going up to find somewhere to live.

Meanwhile, we are decluttering (again!) and visiting everyone we know in the South while we have the opportunity. It will be a long trek once we move North (tho' not as far as some people we could mention ;) )

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ypu will love HB. Just make sure you have some wellies, if you are planning a life in Wet Yorks. (http://www.davebudd.org.uk/flood/)

And start booking your Arvon courses now :-)

7:26 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Oooh-er. Them flood pictures is scary. For some reason, I thought living on a hill would be protection from flooding. Clearly not the case.

8:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Well, I just had an email from Helen and it looks as though the class will be in January, at least that's the plan as of this date.
Oh, Carole, for me letting go is never easy, especially moves, I admire that you have such wonderful plans set in motion.
My cat of 11 years is missing and I'm pretty devastated today. I keep thinking I hear him scratching at the door and I have worn out the floors running to the doors, not him. No, he ain't called, he ain't sent flowers and he ain't wrote, I'm sick.
Connie

2:49 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Hi Sue,
The OU book is red. I've enjoyed working through it. I think you'll like it.

Connie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I do hope he turns up soon.

Whatever the date of SOI, I'll try and make it. I've not had an email from Helen or Sharon - I'll just check Sharon's website.

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home