Sunday, January 22, 2006

Scary week ahead

I'm not particularly looking forward to next week. I'm working my usual Monday and Tuesday (busy diary both days.) I'm at college on Wednesday (hurrah!) Then I'm at work again on Thursday and Friday to run a two-day workshop. It is a rather intensive one - two full days, juggling one-to-one appointments for everyone at the same time as running sessions. I am not at all sure how it will work out.

All I can say is that I am seriously looking forward to the weekend. It is a long time since I've had a full week, and working an extra day last week was tiring enough. I'm hopeful that February will be easier. And I want to get on with my writing course.

I've been freewriting again, and it is starting to come easier. I'm just doing tiny timed writings, ten minutes each. I will build up from this.

Today was a glorious day. We went for a walk with some local friends, and saw lambs. It is such a beautiful sound, the cry of a lamb. And yesterday, we heard great-tits (or coal tits?) making that 'cuckoo' sort of song that they seem to do only in spring. Beautiful.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carole,
Me again! Have you read, "The Lie That Tells a Truth?" The writer, John Dufresne, highly recommends exactly what you are doing small timed pieces and he says, too, don't mind punctuation and spelling just keep going. Sort of like "Writing Down the Bones" only this book is humorous.
I regret to say I am not as faithful as I once was in daily exercises like yours.
Oh, and your walk sound wonderful and I wish I could hear the lambs. Funny you mentioned the birds, I think I heard a spring bird on a walk the other day.
I hope your week goes easier than expected.
Connie

9:39 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Hi Connie,
I've not read Dufresne. I have got 'Bones' though. It's brilliant.

I'm not faithful in daily exercises either. I just do them when I can. I try and scribble something most days, but often it's only a paragraph of 'whinge' or the stuff I do here.

I hope the rest of my week goes easier than expected too!

Take care
Carole

6:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carole,
Have you read John Gardner's novel, "On Becoming a Novelist?" I have it, but have not cracked it yet, but from what I have read, it is a must for writers, I bought it used at Amazon and it came in very good condition.
Carole, is there a chance you can post a picture of the lambs and the stream? I love the scenery in your country.
Connie

6:03 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Hi Connie,
I've not read John Gardner either. I'd be interested to know what you think when you get a chance to read it.

I will post some pictures for you next time I'm out. I love our scenery too - I'm very lucky to live here.

Carole

8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home