Friday, January 06, 2006

Pondering ...

I'm just sitting down to write this after a day spent with some good friends of mine. We meet regularly to exchange news and share how we are getting on with our lives and ambitions. We are all from coaching backgrounds, and personal development is something we value.

Today, through talking with them, I had two realisations:

i) The thing that motivates me is doing something for someone else. Doing something for myself does not get me out of bed in the morning. This, I think, is one of the reasons I don't do as much artistic activity as I would like.

ii) I'm very good a visioning where I want to be, and setting goals for myself (and achieving them), but I'm not very good at enjoying the destination when I get there. Instead, I create more goals, more visions. So I've realised (again) that I need to learn how to enjoy each moment, living in the 'here-and-now'. Any creative activity is good at enabling me to do this.

Hmmm. So how do i) and ii) relate to each other then?

Perhaps I need to find people that I can do creative activity for. Somehow. Sigh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound carzy but...

How about visioning yourself as two persons? You, the creator, and you the something else (consumer?)

Have one half of you do something for the other half.

Does that make sense?

6:25 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Oo-er.

I used to try to be my own boss. But I was the worst boss you can imagine having - totally demanding and not very encouraging.

But the idea of being my own consumer/customer/client ... maybe they would be more forgiving :)

I'll ponder on that thought. Thank you.

6:38 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Hi Sue,
I know what you say is wisdom. It's just 'doing it'! But that's what life is about, isn't it? Learning. My lesson seems to be how to enjoy the journey. I know that when I am present in the here-and-now, and content in myself, I am much more resourceful and helpful to others. So I do just need to learn how to do that more - rather than worrying about everything.

Carole

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home