Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm still here

I was just on the phone to Mum, and she pointed out that I haven't written anything here for a while. So here goes.

I've been pretty busy. Last weekend I ran a career change workshop. Despite running it on the hottest day of the year so far AND the same day as the first England world cup footie match, ten people attended. They gave me a round of applause at the end, which made it feel all worth while. I love it when my workshop delegates get a lot out of the day, which they did seem to.

Last Wednesday was my last day at art college (until next September.) We looked around the final year shows. These included photography, textiles fashion, painting and sculpture and installation art. I particularly liked a wire sculpture of a bird on a piece of driftwood, with the bird interlaced with found items such as feathers. It was on a large scale (perhaps six foot by four foot for the whole piece, and the bird about the size of a crow with outstretched wings.)

We had a street party last night in the village (for the Queen's official birthday) and got chatting to some of the locals. They have fascinating stories to tell, and most of the estates round here are named after one or other of them. I'm also learning a fair bit about farming (it's incredibly hard work, for starters.)

Today we've been out on bikes to Chipping Warden, saw some artists painting plein air, and did about 17.5 miles. So why am I not losing weight? Huh? Then this afternoon we went to Canons Ashby, a National Trust house and gardens. We had lunch and cake (oh, maybe that's why.) I did some sketching, and discovered I like drawing with charcoal pencil - but I can't draw trees.

On the writing front, I’ve just about finished a couple of poems for my TMA submission. I’ve really enjoyed learning about poetry. I’ve also got somewhat addicted to reading it, currently reading Being Alive. There’s some good stuff in there, particularly a poem by Mary Oliver that ends with the lines “so tell me, what is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” These words just send a shiver through me. I’m pretty happy, though, that I’m enjoying my precious life just as it is right now.

I tried to upload one of my paintings for you, but Blogger won't let me. I'll try again another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

Hi Sue,
Nice to see you! Hope all is well.
I've not heard of Paul Bura. I shall keep an eye out for him.
Take care,
Carole

1:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home