Sunday, July 02, 2006

EDM Challenge 73 Mailbox

I remember writing letters. Carefully writing the address in the top right-hand corner, and then wondering what to write. It gave me an opportunity to think about what I'd done, and what I was proud of. Then there were the return letters to look forward to. Usually in thick Basildon Bond watermarked envelopes with matching writing paper. I held the letters together with a blue ribbon. Many of these were from my Gran, who I wrote to regularly when I was a child.

The most surprising letter I received was the one that said I had passed my 11 +. This was totally unexpected, and my first indication that I might be more intelligent than I gave myself credit for. It meant that I got to go to the girl's High School, which would surely be like Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers? It wasn't.

My most exciting mail package recently was my OU study materials - a big workbook, CDs and study guides. I was full of anticipation when I opened that box. It hasn't let me down.

Most of my snail mail now comes from Amazon. Oh, and my bank still write to me. But I don't hold their letters together with blue ribbon.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!! Love your story too .. Amazon loves my mailbox as well!!

3:42 pm  
Blogger Tami said...

This is a very interesting mail box! You have done a wonderful job drawing it too! Love the story you put with it.

4:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying seeing so many different styles of mailboxes. Great sketching!

6:54 pm  
Blogger Teri said...

Wonderful mailbox and wonderful narrative to go with it!

8:36 pm  
Blogger Shelly McC said...

Lovely work!

9:51 pm  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the drawing! Such a neat looking mailbox. And a great story to go with it ... thanks for sharing!

5:53 am  
Blogger Carole said...

Thank you, all!

Sue - you sell Paul very well! Glad all is well with you.

6:10 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Hi Carloe, You mailbox is wonderful, you draw well. You're a natural 'story teller' and I enjoy the tales you tell.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I was delighted to see your mailbox. The drawing is so charming and it's so different from any I've seen here in the U.S. I loved your story too.

6:44 am  
Blogger Robyn said...

Love your mailbox painting AND a great story. Thanks for sharing.

8:47 am  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Cute drawing of a mail box!!

1:26 pm  
Blogger Anastasia said...

This is really great!! id love a mailbox like this

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home