Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hear, hear!

A successful visit to Banbury this morning. My nearest hearing aid clinic is at the Horton General Hospital in Banbury. I have loads of choice about when I can go - as long as it is between 10am and 12.15pm on a Tuesday! Anyway, I went, and it was very promising. The nice audiologist took a putty imprint of my right ear cavity in preparation for my second hearing aid. She also replaced the tubing in my current aid, and showed me how to do it. Apparently I can get batteries and replacement tubing at any time from the main reception. Hurrah! I now just have to wait for an appointment to come through for the fitting of the second aid, which might be a few months. I just hope we stay here long enough to get that sorted.

I settled down to do more of the creative writing course. I'm now on chapter two, and am practising clusters and freewriting daily. Nothing useful so far, but I recognise what is happening i.e. I have to write rubbish for a few days to warm up, then occasionally something reasonable will pop out. I've now found the Haiku exercise, and have posted a couple on Writing me Down.


I've also done another illustrated journal page (this is becoming addictive.) I am starting to recognise that when I've got into a 'stuck' frame of mind, drawing can really help to 'release' it somehow. So when I got bored of writing, I went and did some drawing.

Art tomorrow. This week is much more fun than last :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your journals are lovely. When shall I be able to draw like that? *sigh*

I did not realise that your other ear was failing. Are you OK with that?

I can see I have some A215 catching up to do!

Glad you are enjoying this week more than the last one.

5:21 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Beth - I think we worked out that you *can* draw. Remember that dressing gown, your hand, the mug?

I think it is a Universal Law that other people's drawings always look better to you than your own. I suspect that is partly because you never saw the original object of their drawing! How are you getting on with Danny? I still don't know whether to buy the book or not.

In terms of my other ear failing - it's a problem. It is one of the things that was making me dread the workshop last week. But I did the brave and sensible thing, and confessed up front that I had a hearing impairment. They then knew why I was staring at them so intently whenever they spoke to me ;) It's been a real problem getting support from the NHS here, but hopefully I'm on the home straight (or is that strait?)

5:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carole,
I agree with Beth, your journals are very nice.
I hope your ear problems become easier to deal with, it always amazes what people deal with and do it very nicely, you' re most likely one of those people.
You certainly are creative.
Connie

8:28 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Connie,
Thank you. :)

6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you getting on with Danny?

I'm not.

Not tht there is anything wrong with him, I just haven't got the book out again since I did the "pre" drawings.

I will though. It is an interesting book - I had a flick through and a lot of it is about gateways to creativity - it isn't simply a book about drawing or just about journalling. It's kind of holistic. It's worth getting just for admiring and stroking purposes.

I'm sorry that you have the problem, but I am glad that the NHS has begun to roll for you.

7:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carole,
Gee, it looks as if I may have to move out of my computer room, I just received two more books, one is "Short Stories" Chekhov, I cannot put it down.
One very brief story has me going over and over it in my mind. Gee, I am hooked.
It is like spring here again.
I did some journalling yesterday and I finally got the message - there is something to doing it everyday - so all these profs and teachers are right after all. hmm
Take care,
Connie

7:21 pm  
Blogger Carole said...

Beth,
Mmmm. I think I'm very tempted. Sounds right up my street. It's on my wish list.

Connie,
Chekhov is supposed to be the king of short stories. I read one by him and loved it. I shall look out for a compilation in the library - when we get around to joining. And I'm glad that journalling has finally 'clicked' for you. Every day is the key - but is so easy to let it slip again!

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home